Information Collected When You Visit This Site
You may visit The Willis Tree website anonymously, but there will be areas of the site you cannot visit without registering. If you choose to register, log in, leave a comment or complete a form we may request information from you. This may include your: name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, site preferences, Genealogical information, etc. (see “Web Site Registration” below).
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on this site. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the site, or subscribing to any service or requesting further services provided by this site. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site or when you submit data to it.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Any comments, documents or media you post on the site, including in an email, a contact form, to a forum or bulletin board or chat room, etc. may be stored or archived.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs, operating system, browser usage and other communication data and the resources that you access.
If you provide any information to us via this web site, personal or otherwise, you consent to us using that information lawfully at our sole and absolute discretion.
You must obtain the consent of any third person whose personal information you post to this web site.
We analyse non-identifiable, non-personal web site traffic data to improve our site performance. When you visit this web site, our web server makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
- Your server (IP) address and geographical location.
- Your top level domain name (e.g. .gov, .com, .edu, .org, etc.).
- The pages you accessed and the documents you downloaded.
- The search terms you used.
- The date and time you visited the site.
- The previous site you visited.
- Your operating system (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.)
- The type of browser you use (e.g. Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer, etc.).
We use Google Analytics to collect and analyze usage of this site. In addition, our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the web sites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these web sites, please note that these web sites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. Please check the policies of those web sites before you submit any personal data to them.
Disclosure of Information
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our web site, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.
Non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. This is typically aggregate, anonymous information about our users, e.g. the total number of “hits” our site receives, or how often the average user visits our site, or which terms are most often entered in our site search engine.
This is a Genealogy (or Family History) site. Its purpose is to chronicle and share personal information in the context of Genealogy or Family History and that information is published on the web site. Any information shared with us as a contribution to our Genealogy or Family History data, unless otherwise stated in this document, will be for the purpose of relating and sharing Genealogical and Family History information and to further the research of Genealogy and Family History and may be openly published on the site.
How We Use Your Personal Information
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To add to, augment or amend the information on the site.
- To process transactions.
- The email address you provide may be used to send you information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
- Genealogical / Family History information, documents, stories, photographs, audio or video recordings, media and multimedia of any kind, etc. that you contribute to us may be shown on the The Willis Tree web site.
Archiving of Email We Receive from You
We receive and reply to email from users on a regular basis. We archive (save) most of the email we receive.
Links to Other Sites
Public Forums Guidelines
The Willis Tree website may offer public forums such as email lists, chat rooms, bulletin boards and social networking pages. Please note that information that is disclosed in these arenas becomes public. Use caution in disclosing any personal information.
Web Site Registration
In order to use some features of this Web site, users must first complete the registration form. During registration, users are required to give their contact information (name and e-mail address). We need this to keep spammers from abusing the site. We may also use your email address to inform you of another researcher interested in your line or to provide you with information you have requested and to enable you to retrieve a lost password. Required information will be noted and any other information is optional.