William FAGG - I9825
DIAMOND JUBILEE – Wedding Celebrations – Mr & Mrs W FAGG
The following article is transcribed directly from the Friday 8 January 1932 edition (page 10) of the Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld)
Mr. and Mrs. William Fagg, pioneering residents of the Sharon district, had the unique experience recently of celebrating the diamond jubilee of their wedding. Very rarely has a married couple lived to enjoy such a celebration, and Mr. and Mrs. Fagg, who are still hale and hearty, have been the recipients of numerous congratulations by relatives and friends.
Mr. William Fagg was 83 years of age on August 2nd and Mrs. Fagg was 79 years on March 13th. They are both natives of East Kent, England, their parents being well-known farmers in that district. Mrs. Fagg’s maiden name was Mary Eliza Wellard. They were married on November 25th, 1871, by the Rector, Rev. George Laffin, in the beautiful Church of England in the parish of Ripple. The seven bells in the church were rung on that day.
On October 14th, 1873, Mr. and Mrs. Fagg and two children sailed from the East End Docks in the sailing ship, Tim Whiffler which arrived at Maryborough, Queensland, towards the end of January, 1874, the voyage occupying 10 weeks. They did not remain long in Maryborough, and set off for the Isis district, where Mr. Fagg engaged in the timber trade with his brother, Steve, who came out on the same boat, along with Mr. and Mrs. Richard Fagg. While in the Isis, Mr. and Mrs. William Fagg lost their little son [John], aged three years. Their other child, a daughter, is now Mrs John Baker, of Kalbar.
ARRIVAL IN BUNDABERG.
In 1876 Mr. and Mrs. Fagg came to Bundaberg in a dray, and Mr.Fagg’s first employment was with the late Mr. Nugent Wade Brown, who engaged him to do some fencing on Barolin Station. Mr. Fagg subsequently came to Sharon, and after working for a time as ploughman on Mr. Henry Palmer’s sugar plantations, which was managed by the late Mr. Robert Denny, he took up land and made Sharon his home, and there reared a family, all of whom are now married, leading useful lives, and a credit to the parents, who reared them.
Recently Mr. and Mrs. Fagg handed over the old homestead to one of their sons, and built a comfortable little cottage for themselves on the Ten-mile road, where they are now living in peaceful retirement.
They look back with happy recollections over their 60 years of wedded life. They recall their voyage out to Australia in the sailing ship Tim Whiffler, and mentioned one sad incident, when a sailor, on his way to rejoin his family in New Zealand, fell from the rigging in the sea and disappeared. A collection was taken up for the widow and children and a sum of £60 was subscribed. lt is a source of pleasure to the venerable couple to know that they enjoy the esteem and respect of every citizen of the town and which they contributed their full share in the pioneering work of opening up the country, and giving to Queensland a family of seven daughters and three sons, all of whom, like their worthy parents, are esteemed residents of the district, practically all of whom, too, being identified with life on the land.
There are also 41 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren.
The members of the family entertained their parents. The function was held in the Erin Hill Public Hall, in the Sharon district, near Bundaberg. Practically every resident of the district was present, and close friends were present from Bundaberg and adjoining centres.The guests who attended the afternoon function and also the entertainment in the evening numbered more than 400. The hall was tastefully decorated, and the heavily laden tables were decked with vases of choice blooms.
Cr. N. Poulsen (chairman of the Gooburrum Shire Council) presided, and seated at the head of the table with him were the guests of honour and the Rev. A. K. Osborn, Dr. and Mrs. A. J. Gibson, Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Gibson, Mr. and Mrs. S. F. Luke, Mr. N. B. Backhouse (manager of the Commercial Bank of Sydney) and Cr. L. G. Scotney.
Preceded by two of their granddaughters, Ellen and Marjorie Fagg, as flower girls, Mr. and Mrs. William Fagg entered, the hall and were escorted through the building to their seats at the head table, to the accompaniment of the “Wedding March,’ played by Mrs. Underhill. They appeared to be as happy as the day they walked up the aisle of the beautiful church in Ripple, East Kent, 60 years ago.
Full justice having been done to the sumptuous repast, an appropriate toast list was honoured, in the course of which the venerable couple and the members of their family are held in the district, and the heartiest of congratulations were extended to Mr. and Mrs. Fagg upon having lived to celebrate the 60th anniversary of their wedded life.
The toast was honoured with enthusiasm, and Mr. Fagg made an appropriate reply.The celebrations were continued in the evening, when a dance was held in the hall, and the young people were entertained right royally. The music was supplied by Mrs. Underhill and proceedings terminated at midnight with cheers for the pioneering couple and relatives.
[With grateful thanks to Julie Walker for bringing this article to my attention]